Whether you are treating acne with Accutane or other toxic acne treatments, I want to share the steps I took to heal my skin naturally and stay acne-free for over 7 years.
Since I was a teenager until my early 20’s my face was inundated with pimples and blemishes that made it really hard to recognize my own beauty.
I tried endless acne treatments, antibiotics, birth control pills, steroids, different kinds of creams and extreme diets. But nothing gave me permanent results. Acne would always come back even with more vengeance as soon as I stopped the treatments.
So many pills and toxins caused secondary effects such as digestive problems, allergies, insomnia, nutritional deficiencies and lack of energy. My emotional health also began to decline, I was depressed all the time and began to isolate myself from the people I love.
When my health hit rock bottom, I knew it was time to become radical and become my own rescue. I began to learn about the connection between gut and skin, and how what we put on the skin can also impact hormonal balance and overall health.
As I switched to a cleaner nutrition and safer skincare products all my symptoms began to disappear and eventually my skin healed naturally without the need of medicine.
I have been acne-free for over 7 years and I am on a mission to helping other acne-sufferers heal their skin naturally.
How to heal internally
Add healthy fats: Quality fats are essential for hormonal balance, heal acne and improve absorption of vitamin A,D,E and K, which are essential for healthy skin.
Examples of healthy fats are: butter, ghee, coconut oil, avocado, eggs and grass-fed lard.
- Recommended supplement: Fermented Cod Liver Oil, it is a rich source of vitamin A, extremely important for healthy skin. Click here to see the brand I have been using for over 7 years.
Add probiotics: The gut and the skin are directly connected and both require very similar nutrients such Vitamin A, D, E and K, Zinc, Iron and Magnesium. Both are composed of thousands of different strains of beneficial bacteria responsible for infinite roles including the maintenance of healthy skin.
Probiotics help waste move through the intestines assisting in the elimination of toxins. When constipation or other digestive complications occur, the body is forced to look for alternative detox systems such as the skin.
Probiotic-rich foods help fight infections in the gut and will reduce the manifestations on those infections on the skin.
Probiotic rich foods were essential to improve digestion and clear my skin. Some of my favorites fermented foods are:
- Kombucha (learn how to make it here)
- Raw kefir (Organic Pastures – see how I use it here),
- Kimchi and Sauerkraut.
- Recommended Probiotic supplement: Prescript Assist
Add Collagen: Collagen will help heal the gut and improve the complexion of your skin, hair and nails. You can learn more about the benefits of bone broth and the recipe here.
- Recommended supplement: Collagen Peptides. Can be added to water, smoothies, tea, coffee, anything.
Reduce sugars: Excess of sugars and refined foods (junk food) feed the wrong kind of bacteria in gut leading to bacterial and yeast overgrowth which in some of us can be manifested on the skin as acne, rashes, eczema and other skin disorders.
By sugars, I don’t mean just white or brown sugar, this includes sodas, energy drinks, sport drinks, doughnuts, bagels, pastries, refined breads and pastas. Anything made with refined flours are also converted into sugar in the body.
I know this is a tough one, but it will certainly allow your skin and body to heal.
If you’d like to learn more how to eliminate acne without the need of toxic substances, click here to learn more.
How to heal externally
26 second is all it takes for the chemicals in our personal care products to enter the bloodstream, which carries all the nutrients to all organs in the body, including the skin.
On average, women use 15 products a day and many don’t have a clue of the safety of the ingredients. Substances such as phthalates, fragrance, parabens, oxybezone and many others can damage the skin, lead to hormonal imbalance, interfere with liver functions, infertility and the list goes on.
So, if I am taking care of my health by feeding my body the right nutrients, why not do the same for my skin? Right?
As a rule of thumb avoid anything that is comedogenic (will block your pores), has synthetic fragrance and parabens.
Here you will find a list of the ingredients you should avoid in all of your skincare products.
And to check how safe your current products are click here.
Here’s the list of the safer and high-performing products I trust and use every day, which are giving me great results.
Facial wash and Make-up remover:
- Charcoal bar: Charcoal is known to detoxify and absorb impurities. This bar does exactly that without drying out the skin. It leaves my skin feeling clean and smooth.
Day and night cream:
- Balancing oil: Restores skin balance and adds calming and naturally healing properties. I apply four drops ( forehead, cheeks and chin – one on each area) morning and night. It quickly absorbs and penetrates the skin. I also like using it as a moisturizer before applying foundation.
- Brightening oil: If your acne has subsided and now you need something to help clear those red and other dark spots, this oil is ideal for that. This one is helping me tremendously to clear those dark spots left during my years of acne. It contains vitamin C to even skin tone naturally.
- Tint Skin Foundation: This is the first liquid foundation I have ever tried. I used to wear powdered foundation but it made my skin looked choppy and dry. This tint-skin is lightweight, allows your skin to breath and looks natural. It blends nicely to cover imperfections and uneven skin tone.
- Powder Blush: I am all about natural looks and this blush delivers the perfect amount of healthy-looking color. It contains flower extract to add antioxidant properties to your make-up routine. My favorite shade is bloom and tulip.
- Sheer Lipstick: No make-up is done without a little lip color, right? This lipstick lightweight, long-lasting and free of harmful ingredients and synthetic fragrance. My favorite shade is plum.
I’m very basic with my skincare and makeup-routine, if you are looking for additional items, you can find an array of safer personal care products here.
If you are feeling frustrated about your skin condition, know that there’s a natural solution. I healed my skin without toxins, so can do it too!
Feed and treat your body right in and out, it takes some work but I promise you once you start, you will never want to go back to your old ways.