Couple of days ago, I was jumping up and down when I read an article in Edible Magazine talking about Naked Flavors and my Meetup group (Health & Beauty from Within). I was stoked to see a couple of paragraphs describing my work and mission. And to make things even better they shared one of my ultimate favorite recipes: “Happy Belly Parfait”
This is the first time my work get published, so you can imagine how excited I was….I had to frame the magazine…hahaha
This parfait is usually my to-go meal, particularly during those morning when I don’t have enough time to prepare a fancy breakfast or when I prefer to start my day with something light. You can literally prepare this parfait in less than 5 minutes. My favorite part is that it calls for the use of kefir.
In case you aren’t familiar with kefir, it is made of fermented cow’s or goat’s milk. During the fermentation process the bacteria feeds from sugar (which in the milk is the lactose) making kefir virtually lactose-free. What amazes me the most about kefir, is its powerful probiotic benefits. Just one tablespoon of kefir has 150 billion (with a B) friendly-bacteria, isn’t that amazing?
Let me share with you this quick, yet nutritious recipe that will make your mornings way easier. 😉
Happy Belly Parfait
Happy Belly Parfait Ingredients
- ¾ cup canned coconut cream (use solid portion of the cream*)
- ¼ cup kefir, preferably raw (Organic Pastures is a pretty amazing brand)
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup berries of your choice
- ¼ cup mixed nuts, preferably raw
- 1 tablespoon shaved chocolate (optional) (I like using unsweetened baking chocolate)
- Make parfait in a 16-ounce Mason jar or bowl. If coconut cream solids are not creamy, warm them a smidgen so they mix with kefir. Coconut cream melts quickly so be very careful with this step. (Warm coconut cream before adding kefir)
- Stir kefir, maple syrup and vanilla into coconut cream. Adjust sweetness according to your preference.
- Top coconut cream mixture with a layer of berries and a layer of nuts. If using chocolate, shave it over parfait with a cheese grater or zester.
*Use the remaining coconut cream in smoothies.
If you’d like to read the full article, click HERE