The easiest way for me to cook healthy meals is to stuff things, plus I get my protein, fats and carbs all in one!
This time I decided to stuff butternut squashes and topped them with homemade dairy-free pesto.
These butternut squashes are stuffed with ground lamb…I love lamb! But you can also use any other type of meat.
This is a practical recipe and I’m sure you already have most of the ingredients. 😉 Enjoy!
Stuffed Butternut Squash with Cashew Pesto
(Serves 4 people)
- 2 medium size butternut squashes
- 1 tbsp butter or ghee
- 1 white onion, minced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb. ground lamb
- 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp red chilli pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
Minty Cashew Pesto
- 1/2 cup cashews*
- 1/3 cup basil leaves
- 6 mint leaves
- 1/2 lemon (juice)
- 1/3 cup water
- sea salt
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- Soak cashews overnight in filtered water with a little bit of lemon juice or sea salt. If you forgot to do this and you must cook this recipe today, then simply soak the cashews for a couple of hours.
- Preheat the oven to 380F before you start making the pesto
- Discard water and place cashews in a food processor together with the rest of ingredients. Pulse until a paste has formed and ingredients are well combined. Set aside.
- Carefully, cut butternut squash lengthwise and remove the seeds. Bush with a little bit of olive or avocado oil and sprinkle with sea salt. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes or until able to poke with a fork.
- In the meantime, place a large skillet over medium heat and melt butter or ghee or whatever healthy fat you’d like to use.
- Add onions and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add garlic and lamb. Stir and let cook for 5 minutes.
- Add apple cider, seasonings and pecans. Mix and allow to cook for 5 -7 more minutes or until lamb is cooked to your preference.
- Stuff each butternut squash with lamb and top with Cashew minty Pesto.
- That’s it! Super duper easy!
*Prepare cashews overnight by soaking them in water and lemon juice or sea salt.