This Shrimp Taco with Cilantro Sauce is a very simple, fast and tasty recipe that you can enjoy any day of the week, not not only on Taco Tuesday!
When I say shrimp! People say cholesterol!
So before sharing the recipe I would like to clarify some misconceptions about cholesterol and take the taboo out of this essential hormone-like substance.
Shrimp is often included on the “do not eat“ list because of its cholesterol content….
Did you know cholesterol is one of our bodies’ protection mechanisms?
High levels of serum cholesterol mean that the body needs cholesterol to protect itself from free radicals-containing fats. CHOLESTEROL is needed in a poor nourished body to protect it from disease and cancer.
These are just few of the many roles that cholesterol plays in our health:
- CHOLESTEROL and saturated fats give our cell membranes stiffness and stability.
- Cholesterol acts as a precursor to hormones that help us deal with stress .
- It also protect the body from heart disease and cancer.
- CHOLESTEROL acts as a precursor to sex hormones
- Produces bile, which aids digestion and assimilation of fats.
- Helps produce vitamin D (essential for healthy bones, nervous system and immune functions)
- It is needed for proper function of serotonin – the “feel-good” chemical.
- Acts as an antioxidant.
- Plays an important role in maintaining the health of the intestinal walls.
- Babies need cholesterol, which is found in mother’s milk, for development of their brains and nervous systems.
I hope this quick info gives you more clarity or at least creates some curiosity to learn more about cholesterol, but most importantly, I hope it takes your fear away so you can try these Shrimp Tacos!
If you are looking for some taco inspiration you can also try this super delicious Pork Belly Taco Recipe.
Shrimp Tacos with Cilantro Sauce
Makes: 6 tacos
- 1 lb. wild caught shrimp
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Pinch of chilli powder
- 1/2 cup shredded cabbage
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 1 tbsp butter or ghee
- 6 sprouted corn tortillas (I use Foods For Life)
Sour Cilantro Sauce:
- 1/2 Sour cream
- 1/2 cilantro leaves
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/8 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Place a skillet over medium heat and melt butter or ghee.
- In a bowl season shrimp with garlic, paprika, sea salt and chili powder. Transfer to the skillet and cook for 3 minutes, stir and cook for another 3 minutes.
- While shrimp is cooking add cilantro sauce ingredients in a blender and process until all ingredients are well combined. Adjust spiciness according to your preference.
- Heat a different skillet and warm your tortillas for a couple of minutes.
- Assemble tacos by first adding shredded cabbage, drizzle some of the sauce, add shrimp and avocado and sprinkle chopped cilantro. Add more sauce if you want. I’m sure you will. 🙂
- And that’s it! Super easy and quick to make. Happy Taco Tuesday!