Thirteen years ago, I started taking birth control pills to get rid of acne.
Before that I tried antibiotics and topical creams but nothing seemed to give me permanent results. Eventually, when my acne got worse my dermatologist prescribed birth control pills. They worked like magic (or so I thought), in a couple of months my skin was clear!
I was on the pill for 6 years until I started breaking out again, but this time acne was more severe than ever.
After so many years of taking pills, antibiotics and hormones to heal my skin without permanent results, I was done contaminating my body with all of those toxins.
When I made the decision to treat my skin condition naturally by healing from within, getting off the pill became an obvious decision. The pill and its side effects had no place in my life anymore.
Although going off the pill was necessary, I was afraid my acne would come back with a vengeance, but with the help of my holistic nutritionist I began to wean off the pill while supporting my gut health.
To my surprise, my skin remained clear after I completely stopped taking the pill.
The protocol I am about to share with you has been used by my clients with success.
Your nutrition will play a major role, so please watch what you eat.
It is important to support the gut before, during and after the protocol to avoid breakouts.
Before getting off the pill
Two (or more) weeks before you wean off of the pill, start supporting the gut:
- Probiotics will help repopulate the gut with healthy bacteria. Remember that the gut and the skin are intimately related. Click here to see the probiotics I recommend. The quality of the probiotics is a MUST! I will also recommend to add kefir and kombucha to your daily nutrition.
- If you’re dealing with acne, I’m sure you are familiar with Accutane, but if you aren’t it is a synthetic form of vitamin A prescribed for acne sufferers which doesn’t guarantee clear skin and leads to side effects such as liver damage, depression, mood changes and muscle pain. Cod Liver Oil is a natural source of Vitamin A and is a very important part of the protocol, so please don’t skip it. Additionally, make sure to add healthy fats such as butter, coconut oil, avocados and raw nuts to your nutrition.
- Magnesium is an essential mineral for many functions in the body and for the health of the skin. Unfortunately, due to our soils being so depleted of nutrients it is hard to obtain optimum amounts of this important mineral from just food sources. Supplementing is important! Make sure your supplements are of good quality. There are many reputable brands but I recommend: click here
- Bone broth: This abundant source of collagen will support the health of the skin and gut while helping reduce inflammation. Read my “Miraculous Food For the Skin” to learn how to make bone broth at home. As an alternative you can use collagen powder which you can mix in teas, smoothies and water.
Keep in mind that this goes along with a healthy nutrition which includes:
- Reducing sugars – I don’t just mean just white sugar, I am referring to sodas, energy drinks, fruit juices, pastries, junk food and processed foods which include fast food!
- Adding healthy fats – coconut oil, avocados, butter, ghee
- Adding probiotic rich foods – kombucha (learn to make it here or buy it at your local grocery stores) and raw kefir . Check this yummy recipe using kefir.
- Eliminating vegetable oils – canola, corn, sunflower and all those cheap oils that come in transparent plastic bottles. Instead use butter, coconut oil or ghee for cooking.
- Staying hydrated – at least 8 glasses of water a day.
While Getting Off the Pill
- After two weeks you’ve started taking the recommended supplements, start taking only 2/3 of the pill for two weeks.
- The next two weeks take 1/3 of the pill. Continue supporting your body with supplements and clean nutrition.
After Completely Off the Pill
Make sure to continue supporting your gut and continue with a healthy nutrition. If you’re wondering what to eat check my recipes, follow me on Instagram , get a copy of my book “Healthy Gut Happy You” for more inspiration or join my newsletter to be the first one to know when registration opens again for “Vibrant From Within” – a program that teaches how to eat so you can achieve your health goals and enjoy permanent results.
Become aware of what you put on your body every single day
Consider switching to safer skincare and cosmetics.
Most beauty products in the market contain harmful and harsh substances such as phthalates, fragrance, heavy metals that directly affect hormonal balance and overall health.
I encourage you to try safer alternatives so your products don’t interfere with your healing process.
My clients who are treating acne from within also find Countercontrol to be a great addition. It’s a powerful regimen for oily and blemish-prone skin that mattifies and clears without dryness and irritation. – I wish I had this available when I was healing my skin. Instead, I only had access to retin A, Benzoyl peroxide and other harmful ingredients that have left my skin feeling very thin and more prone to aging.
Another favorite, which is a great addition to Countercontrol is the Balancing Facial Mask – Made with charcoal to purify and balance the skin, absorbs excess oil, draws out impurities and detoxifies pores and purified skin. Use it 2-3 times a week for 10 minutes.
And last but not least, Countersun, it’s a great sunscreen free of hormone-disrupting substances, doesn’t clog pores and applies nicely without leaving your skin feeling greasy. I do recommend exposing yourself to the sun at least 15-20 minutes a day to help your body produce Vitamin D – essential for healthy skin. But because of the damaged I caused my skin with so many harmful chemicals, I have to careful with UVB rays aka aging rays which penetrate clouds and glass and Bluelight from cellphones and laptops which also have damaging effects on the skin.
Feel free to send me a message if you have questions on what products are ideal for your skin goals or need recommendations, I’m here for ya!
Click here to learn more about the skincare products I use to minimize my exposure to toxins while highlighting natural beauty.