These gluten-free energy bars are also refined sugar-free! And guess what the star ingredients is???
…. Sweet Potato!
The recipe is as simple as mix, spread and freeze. You can make them in a matter of minutes and they will last you for days!
I created this recipe because I was tired of looking for energy bars that were actually made with good ingredients and didn’t have crazy amount of sugar. In my experience, I either find options that are made with healthy ingredients but the sugar content is ridiculous or I find energy bars that claim to be healthy but are made with ingredients I can’t even pronounce.
So this gluten-free energy bars are the my solution to not finding store-bought options low in sugar and made with real ingredients.
The most important ingredient is cooked and peeled sweet potatoes. Smash them with a fork or potato smasher and let them cool down.
Almond butter helps bind all the ingredients, feel free to replace with any other nut or seed butter of your choice. I try to add collagen to everything I eat to maintain healthy skin, hair, nails and gut. This collagen powder is completely flavorless.
Add healthy fat to make this gluten-free bar energy bars superb!
Mix all the ingredients using a spatula or hand mixer
Spread mixture on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper and freeze.
** Here’s another delightful gluten-free recipe using sweet potatoes as the main ingredients –> Gluten and Grain Free Donuts
Gluten-Free Sweet Potato Energy Bars
- 1 cup sweet potato, cooked
- 3 tbsp almond butter
- 1 scoop of collagen powder (optional)
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 4 tbsp maple syrup
- pinch of sea salt
- 1/2 cup pecan pieces
- Cook sweet potatoes until fork-tender and let cool down.
- Peel and mash sweet potato in a large bowl using a fork or potato masher.
- Mix in almond butter and collagen powder. (I use Vital Proteins.)
- In a small bowl mix melted coconut oil with cocoa powder and maple syrup.
- Pour cocoa mixture in the bowl with sweet potatoes, add a pinch of sea salt. Mix until all ingredients are well blended.
- Add pecans and mix one more time.
- Cover a cookie tray with a sheet of parchment paper.
- Using a spatula, spread the sweet potato mixture. Make it as thick or thin as you like. I make my bars 1/4 inch thick.
- Freeze for 15 minutes and cut using a knife or pizza cutter.
- Store them in ziplock bags, unless you end up eating them all at once! 🙂