Want a lasagna that’s completely free of pasta, gluten and guilt??
Your wish is my command! Tadaaa!
One thing that very few people know about me is that I LOVE dancing salsa. It is one for those things (besides cooking and talking about nutrition) that makes my soul shine! I feel as if my recipes come out more flavorful when I dance, so for the sake of adding taste to my food I make it a point to listen to music and dance while I cook. Wouldn’t it be so cool to have a cooking-zumba class? hmmm…. ANYWAYS! before I start my day-dreaming session, let me tell you how this Zero Pasta Bison Lasagna came to be.
Few days ago, I was blasting my music Celia Cruz’s style, I was shaking my shoulders and hips like there was no tomorrow. I was really having fun! Until the fire alarm scared the heck out of me! To make this story short, I burnt half of my butternut squash and since it wasn’t enough for the recipe I had in mind, I had to think of something else. This is how this “Zero Pasta Bison Lasagna” was created. It was a mistake, but definitely a delicious one!
- 1 small butternut squash, sliced (not too thick)
- 1 lb. ground bison (or any other meat)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 tbsp butter or duck fat
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 1/2 cup bone stock or water
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Peel butternut squash. If butternut is too long, cut in half and carefully start slicing it by using a knife or potato peeler. I tried the potato peeler and ended up braking it. You are better off with a well sharped knife.
- In a large skillet, melt the fat of your preference over medium heat.
- Sauté onions until translucent. (3-5 minutes)
- Add tomato, tomato paste, bone stock (or water) and mix. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add ground meat and season with spices and thyme.
- Mix well and cook for only 2-3 more minutes. The meat will finished cooking once it is transferred to the oven.
- I used 8″ pyrex baking dish. Add a layer of meat sauce, cover with cheese and place a layer of sliced butternut squash. Repeat the process one more time and top with remaining meat.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
If you are hungry for more there are 100 + recipes waiting for you in Naked Flavors mobile app. A super easy way to carry with you lots of tastebud-thrilling recipes everywhere you go. 😉