Tostones are my newest favorite! They are so versatile, delicious and extremely easy to make. You can have them with pretty much everything! Tuna salad, guacamole and piece of cheese….the possibilities are endless!
I shared this recipe in my fastest Live video which I do every Wednesday on Instagram and Facebook at 6:00 pm (PST). Every week is a new, healthy and practical recipe to make your life in the kitchen a lot easier. And talking about making life easier, make sure to sign up to my free workshop! It’s loaded with valuable information you don’t want to miss.
Alright, let’s go back to our toston talk!
These tostones are super crispy and you can easily use them instead of crackers. The trick to get crispy tostones is to use green plantains, if they are ripe you will end up with smashed fried plantain. Still good, but not crispy.
In this recipe I will also share my very quick guacamole recipe using a secret ingredient to make it a real crowd pleaser.
We are going to use very simple ingredients and to make this recipe not only tastier but also healthier, we are going to use healthy fats to cook the tostones. The results? Tastebud-thrilling!
Crispy Tostones with Guac
- 2 green plantains
- 3 tbsp palm oil
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Sheet of parchment paper
- 1 avocado
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 lemon
- 2 tbsp cilantro, chopper
- Peel plantains carefully using a small knife.
- Slice into 1 inch sliced.
- Heat up a cast iron skillet (or whatever skillet you have) and melt palm oil.
- Cook plantains for a couple of minutes. Just to brown them.
- Remove and place on napkins to absorb the extra grease.
- Place a plantain slice between two sheets of parchment paper and press down using a flat plate.
- Carefully transfer to the same skillet with palm oil and cook a couple of minutes each side.
- To make the guacamole, simply smash avocado using a fork and season, squeeze in lemon juice and mix in cilantro. Place avocado pit in the middle or a piece onion to prevent the guacamole from browning too fast. Enjoy!!