Tostones are my newest favorite! They are so versatile, delicious and extremely easy to make. You can have them with pretty much everything! Tuna salad, guacamole and piece of cheese….the possibilities are endless!
These tostones are super crispy and you can easily use them instead of crackers. The trick to get crispy tostones is to use green plantains, if they are ripe you will end up with smashed fried plantain – Still good, but not crispy and a little messy.
Once you try them you’re going to get hooked!
Another thing I love about tostones is you can make them as big as you want which you can use instead of bread for burgers and a big plantain tostada. I have a very rustic method to make over-sized tostones, but still works. (I explain the process in more detail below.)
And to make this recipe even more exciting I’m also sharing a quick yet delightful guacamole recipe using a secret ingredient to make it a real crowd pleaser.
These tostones with guac are a great snack and if you have kids definitely include them in the process. They’d love the smashing part.
Before you check out the recipe, if eating healthy and staying on track is a struggle due to lack of time and ideas, check out my upcoming “Online Healthy Meal Prep Class.” – You’ll learn to prepare nourishing meals for the week in two hours which means no more wondering what to cook, staying away from temptation and less eating out, which means more cha chin in your pocket!
Crispy Tostones with Guac
- 2 green plantains
- 3 tbsp palm oil or coconut oil
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Sheet of parchment paper
- 1 avocado
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 lemon
- 2 tbsp cilantro, chopper
- Peel plantains carefully using a small knife.
- Slice into 1 inch sliced.
- Heat up a cast iron skillet (or whatever skillet you have) and melt palm oil.
- Cook plantains for a couple of minutes. Just to brown them.
- Remove and place on napkins to absorb the extra grease.
- Place a plantain slice between two sheets of parchment paper and press down using a flat plate. – If you want to make oversize tostones simply smash 2-3 tostones together.
- Carefully transfer to the same skillet with palm oil and cook a couple of minutes each side.
- To make the guacamole, simply smash avocado using a fork and season, squeeze in lemon juice and mix in cilantro. Place avocado pit in the middle or a piece onion to prevent the guacamole from browning too fast. Enjoy!!