I CHOOSE SAFER BEAUTY…AND YOU?
Skin problems were my main motivation to change my lifestyle. Since I was 18 until my early twenties, I tried endless treatments: antibiotics, birth control pills, hormones, steroids, over-the counter medicine, creams and weird diets, but nothing seemed to give me permanent results.
Eventually, my skin problems evolved into digestive disorders, allergies, depression, lack of energy and difficulty managing my weight. (Read my story here)
When my physical health began to affect my emotional well-being I realized that something different had to get done. So I decided to start healing from within – from my gut to be more exact.
As I began to heal naturally, I also became more aware about the substances I was applying on my skin.
For years, I had been using Retin A, creams with cortisol and other harmful ingredients hoping that they will help improve my skin condition. Unfortunately, they were doing more harm than good.
I became more conscious of my skincare products when I learned about the lack of regulation in the beauty industry and the impact all the unregulated toxins have on the skin, hormones and entire body.
Can you believe that the last regulation that governs what goes into our skincare products was passed in 1938???
And since then 85,000 chemicals have been added to the skincare industry and only 10-15% are regulated for human safety.
DID YOU KNOW?
In my hunt for safer skincare, I learned organic, vegan, natural, dermatologist-approved labels don’t mean anything. The beauty industry is so poorly regulated, companies can label their products as they see suitable.
I began searching for products I can truly trust using on my self and recommending to others and this is how I came across Beautycounter It has forever changed the way I look at at the products I apply on my skin daily.
- It has banned 1500 ingredients from all of their products (The FDA has only banned 33)
- They test every single batch of cosmetics for endocrine disruptors, carcinogens and allergens.
- High-performing skincare, yet made with truly clean ingredients.
- It’s more than a beauty company. Beautycounter advocates for stricter regulations in the skincare industry at the State and Federal level.
- Responsible sourced raw materials to make sure the final products are save for us and the planet.
TOOLS TO HELP YOU MAKE SAFER CHOICES
- Stay away from the ingredients in The Never List
- Download the Healthy Living app to check the safety of your skincare and cosmetics or check in the EWG database
- Avoid synthetic fragrance – a major hormonal disruptor.
Keep scrolling down to check out some of my favorite products.
I love the way they feel and look, they’re all made with safer ingredients that perform!
– MY SKINCARE –
This creamy foaming cleanser has become a favorite. It removes makeup and washes away impurities without drying out skin. It leaves skin feeling soft and smooth, not tight, dry or like sandpaper. A little goes a long way. So this tube easily lasts me 2-3 months.
- Squalane: derived from olives, draws moisture into the skin and visibly restores elasticity.
- Plum Oil: rich in omega 6 and vitamin E, helps provide nutrients for vibrant, healthy-looking skin.
- Phytic Acid: sourced from rice, it gently exfoliates to aid in cell turnover to help skin breathe for a natural glow.
All Bright C Serum
All the years of acne, left me with dark spots and red dots on my face. So I decided to give this bright yellow serum a try and let me tell you…it’s been a game changer! It brightens up skin instantly and helps reduce the appearance of dark spots, while antioxidant-rich turmeric and camu camu extracts help protect against new ones. Two pumps in the morning on clean skin will get give an instant radiant look!
- Turmeric Root Extract: An antioxidant superstar that helps even skin tone and improve the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Camu Camu Fruit Extract: This powerful antioxidant helps reduce the appearance of dark spots while brightening, to visually improve signs of skin fatigue.
Countertime Antioxidant Soft Cream
Created to visibly plump and firm the skin while boosting hydration so you can enjoy soft and smooth skin all day long. I love how it gives my skin a healthy and glowing look.
- Bakuchiol has been shown to provide skin-care results that are comparable to retinol—without harmful side effects such as skin irritation and increased sun sensitivity
- Swiss Alpine rose boosts the skin’s antioxidant defense.
- Nasturtium flower extract: Helps reinforce the skin barrier while providing potent oxygenation benefits to protect and defend skin from drying environmental stressors.
- Fermented Sugars: Boost hydration to help slow the visible effects of aging.
Countersun Daily Sheer Defense For Face – SPF 25
The best safer sunscreen I’ve ever tried! It lightweight, doesn’t clog pores and it works! It protects skin from damaging and aging UVA, UVB, and blue light rays. It doesn’t leave a chalky white cast. And it’s reef-friendly! Good for you and the planet. – A total win win!
- Non-Nano Zinc Oxide: a physical, mineral sun protection technology that works by reflecting UV rays
- Chicory Root Extract: supports skin’s barrier function to lock in hydration
- Vitamin E: provides powerful antioxidant benefits that defend against environmental stressors to keep skin healthy looking
- Squalane: derived from olives, draws moisture into the skin, leaving it happily hydrated
– COSMETICS –
Skin Twin Featherweight Foundation
Hands down the best foundation I’ve ever tried! And I’ve tried a lot of brands…It feels like second skin, doesn’t clog pores, looks and feels natural. It’s made with truly clean ingredients and hyaluronic acid to visibly plump the skin. It’s your match made in makeup.
Need help finding your shade? Learn More
- Second-skin wear: Blends seamlessly into skin for a weightless, breathable, natural finish.
- Lasting coverage: Buildable light-to-medium coverage that lasts all day.
- Skin-care benefits: A potent dose of hyaluronic acid visibly plumps and smooths skin and reduces appearance of fine lines over time.
- Fragrance Free: Meaning free of hormonal and endocrine disruptors. Woot woot!
Satin Powder Blush
Create perfectly flushed cheeks with a natural-looking shade or a pop of color. Satin Powder Blush features shades that flatter all skin tones, in a matte finish. A little goes a long way! This blush can easily last 8 months or more.
Sheer Genius Conditioning Lipstick
If you’re looking for a lipstick that’s nourishing, creamy, long-lasting, free of carcinogens, feels natural and it’s made with ethically sourced ingredients, then you’ve found THE ONE!
Did you know most mascaras contain formaldehyde? – A substance used to preserve dead bodies – Yup! Crazy stuff goes into the formulation of cosmetics and unfortunately, companies aren’t required to display all of their ingredients. So we really don’t know what we’re putting on our beautiful faces every single day.
I love the volumizing mascara because it’s made with cleaner, plant-derived ingredients, like carnauba wax and rice bran wax, replace harmful emollients, while bataua oil helps soften lashes.
It’s really worth a try.
If safer skincare is something you are considering, don’t hesitate to send me a message with your questions. I’ll be happy to share my experience and do my best to guide you in the right direction. Beautycounter has a large array of products, so I invite to browse their website and start treating your skin with safer, beautiful and high-performing products.