Here’s a recipe that has thrilled many tastebuds since I published «Healthy Gut Happy You.» This Double Layer Sweet Potato Cake is really easy to make, calls for simple (and real) ingredients and it’s delicious.
The entire cake is made with sweet potatoes, it’s completely free of gluten, refined sugars and soy. It’s a perfect treat even for those peeps who don’t believe healthy can be tasty.
Serve this Double Sweet Potato Cake with homemade Coconut Whipped Cream (recipe below) to make your tastebuds go even crazier!
So without further ado, here’s the recipe for this guilt-free treat:
Double Layered Sweet Potato Cake
- 2 medium-sized sweet potatoes (or 2 cups)
- 4 tbsp coconut nectar or maple syrup
- ½ cup coconut flour
- 4 tbsp coconut oil
- 6 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp cacao powder
- Preheat oven at 350°F.
- Line a sheet of parchment paper on a 9” round baking pan and grease sides with coconut oil. Set aside.
- In a pot, boil water and add sweet potato. Cook for about 15 minutes or until tender.
- Allow sweet potatoes too cool and then peel skins off.
- Mash sweet potatoes.
- In a food processor place 1 cup of mashed sweet potato, 2 tbsp maple syrup, ¼ cup coconut flour, 3 eggs, 1 tsp vanilla extract, and 2 tbsp coconut oil. Pulse until all ingredients are well combined.
- Pour mixture in baking pan.
- Repeat step 5 and include cacao powder.
- Pour chocolate mixture as a second layer. Using a spatula spread the mixture to cover the surface.
- Place in oven and bake for 45 minutes.
- Allow it to cool at room temperature then chill in the refrigerator.
- Top with coconut whipped cream.
Coconut Whipped Cream
(Makes 1 cup)
- 1 can full-fat coconut cream, chilled
- 3-4 tsp honey, coconut syrup or maple syrup
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Chill a can of coconut cream in the refrigerator overnight.
- Remove cream from can and place in a bowl. Do not include liquid.
- Fold in coconut syrup and vanilla extract with a spatula.
If the cream is too hard, go ahead an use a hand mixer to blend all ingredients.
Don’t you love having healthy alternative for all those foods that thrill the tastebuds? I can eat this whip cream with a couple of strawberries or mixed with berries. This creamy concoction will bring any dessert to the next level!
Remember to tag @nakedflavors if you choose to give this recipe a try.
With so much love,